Fort Worth District
Lakes and Recreation Menu
History of Grapevine Lake
Grapevine Lake is located near the community of Grapevine, Texas and located in the heart of the metroplex in Denton County. Grapevine Dam is located on Denton Creek, a tributary of the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, which was impounded in 1952.
On March 2nd, 1945, the U.S. Congress approved the River & Harbors Act of 1945 which, among many projects, provided for the construction of Benbrook Lake, Grapevine Lake, Lavon Lake and Ray Roberts Lake, as well as modifications to the existing Garza Dam for the construction of Lewisville Lake. All the projects were for the purposes of both flood control and navigation. These lakes became part of an extensive floodway system that is operated in a coordinated manner to minimize flooding along the Trinity river floodplain. The Grapevine Dam and Reservoir project, as it was originally known, was initiated in January 1948. Located on Denton Creek, a tributary of the Elm Fork of the Trinity river, the project spans both Tarrant County and Denton County. In this area immediately north of the City of Grapevine, the Corps of Engineers obtained approximately 15,700 acres (63.5 km²) of land and placed easements on another 2,200 acres (8.9 km²) to be flooded by the new reservoir. The project was completed in June 1952, and impounding of water began July 3, 1952. Surrounding towns include Grapevine, Southlake, Trophy Club, Roanoke and Flower Mound.