Fort Worth District
Lakes and Recreation Menu


Adjacent Landowner Information

What Can I Do On Government Property Around Lake Georgetown?

Lake Georgetown's Shoreline Management Policy is designed to protect the desirable environmental characteristics of the lakeshore and to minimize private exclusive use of public property around the lake.  The following short answers will help to determine what is needed to comply with the policy.  A permit issued by the Lake Georgetown Park Manager is required for any work done on fee owned property.

  1. Can I use Government property behind my house?

  1. No. The policy clearly states that private exclusive use of Government property is not permitted.  This grants the public the greatest use of public property around the lake.

  1. Can I cross the fence onto Government property from my property?

  1. Generally, yes.  All of the land surrounding Lake Georgetown was purchased for public use.  The only exceptions to the rule are restricted areas due to concerns in the best interest of the public.  Some of the areas include, but are limited to; areas restricted for sewage treatment, safety hazards or security concerns.  Landowners wishing to cross the government fence on a regular basis must contact the Lake Georgetown Project Office to evaluate plans on the best method to access the property.  Walk through gates may be permitted upon determination by project personnel that the access will not damage any environmental feature directly or indirectly.  The boundary fence is Government property and persons damaging or removing the fence will be prosecuted.

  1. May I cut trees and/or grass on Government land?

  1. Tree cutting is not permitted to establish a view.  A formal request must be submitted to the project office before any modification to vegetation is made. The modification of vegetation is not permitted on Corps property unless permitted.  Each request to cut trees will be evaluated to determine the potential effects as an environmental stewardship agency.  Contact the project office for further information.

  1. I have flowage easement on my property.  What can I do on this land?

  1. The Government purchased the right to flood property below 839 M.S.L. when in the best interest of managing the lake.  The landowner may cut vegetation on this property.  Restrictions on this land pertain to any alteration that would affect water storage of the lake (filling, excavating, etc.), building structures, and dumping.  Structures suitable for human habitation will NOT be allowed at any time.  Contact the project office for further information.

For further information on shoreline management or to report unauthorized camping or other activities such as digging, off road vehicles, poaching, or horseback riding, contact a park ranger at 512-930-5253.


What is an encroachment? An encroachment is the placement, construction, or continued existence of a permanent or semi-permanent structure or other privately owned property on, under, in, or over publicly owned lands or lands held in flowage easement without prior written permission of the Corps' District Engineer or his representative. Examples of encroachments are, but not limited to, buildings of any type, roads, septic tanks, fences or any other actions that would alter public lands. When discussing encroachments, we must also consider the destruction, injury, defacement, removal or any alteration of public property including natural formations, historical and archaeological features, and vegetative resources which exist on the affected area.

Why Worry about Encroachments?

Why should an adjacent landowner worry about encroachments? Here are a few reasons for not using public land for private exclusive use:

(1) Incurring the expense to remove an item of encroachment from Government property and restore the disturbed site to original condition.

(2) Having the encroachment recorded on your property deed. Known encroachments are documented by the Corps and recorded in the county courthouse with the property deeds. Most lending institutions will not proceed with a loan if such a condition exists. Many adjacent landowners wishing to sell their home and property with a "cloud" on their deeds are usually disappointed with delays and additional cost.

(3) Being subject to a citation. In cases when a landowner will not voluntarily remove an encroachment, or refuses to take any action to resolve an encroachment, a citation may be issued. The citation could involve a monetary fine and/or appearance before a federal magistrate.

How Are Encroachments Discovered?

  • Corps Boundary Surveillance
  • Buyer's Mortgage Surveys
  • Buyer's Certified Survey Plats
  • Abstract Updates
  • (Through Attorney's Title Opinion)
  • Flood Pool Impoundments

If You Have an Encroachment

Should you own real property next to Lake Georgetown and have items of personal property that are encroaching upon public lands, contact the Lake Georgetown Project Office. We recommend you make an appointment to meet with a member of the ranger staff. The ranger will meet with you on site, discuss the options available, and work with you to take action necessary to resolve the encroachment. In some instances, these meetings will prevent a landowner from making a costly and time-consuming mistake.


If you have questions about the location of the U.S. Government property boundary, contact the Lake Georgetown Project Office at 512-930-5253. A field visit appointment with a Corps ranger can be scheduled to assist you in locating the boundary, or in answering any other questions you may have concerning encroachments and our permit program.

Written inquiries may be addressed to:

Lake Georgetown Office
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
500 Lake Overlook Drive
Georgetown, TX 78633

Wear your life jacket