Fort Worth District
Lakes and Recreation Menu
History of Jim Chapman Lake/Cooper Dam
Situated in Northeast Texas, Cooper Lake Project was authorized in 1955 with embankment contruction beginning in 1986 and impounded in 1991. Cooper lake project is located within the South Sulphur River watershed between Delta and Hopkins Counties. The US Army Corps of Engineers built the Lake to control flooding on the Sulphur River, and to serve as a water supply. The lake was renamed Jim Chapman Lake in 1998 by order of the President Clinton in honor of the local congressman, from nearby Sulphur Springs. It is still widely known as Cooper Lake, and the Cooper Lake State Park retains the name. The area provides recreational opportunities that include two state parks and a wildlife management area.