Adjacent Landowner Information


Government-owned (fee) land was purchased by the government, and extends from underneath the reservoir upward to the boundary line. The upper extent of government-owned land managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (COE) is usually indicated by an orange painted line on trees, fiberglass post with COE markings, and concrete markers with bronze caps.

Click here to read the Shoreline Management Policy


1. Apply for a permit to mow and underbrush property (permission to remove dead or hazardous trees may be approved under this permit).

2. Apply for a permit to perform shoreline erosion control work.

3. Apply for a water license to withdraw water and place a water line on government property. A contract must be obtained from the Lower Neches Valley Authority (LNVA), P.O. Box 3464, Beaumont, Texas 77704, Phone: 409-892-4011, before the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will issue a license.


1. Place personal property of any kind, including but not limited to boats, buildings, stairways, bird houses, tables, etc., on government property for more than 24 hours. Such actions may result in summary removal and impoundment of the property or other action. Portable (roll-away) docks are prohibited at all times.

2. Construct roads, buildings, or other items on government property.

3. Moor a boat or other floating device.

4. Restrict public use of this land verbally, by posting signs, by fencing, to the water, by erection of obstacles, or by other methods.

5. Drive vehicles (including ATV's and golf carts) to the lake, except at authorized access or launching points.

6. Camp on government land, except in designated areas.

7. Dump household garbage or other debris on government property.

8. Cut trees, clear brush or mow, (except as authorized under a mowing and underbrushing permit), dig , excavate channels, or otherwise deface or destroy government property.

9. Excavate, dig, alter, or remove cultural resources, including but not limited to pottery, pottery shards, arrow heads, bone, and tools.


Flowage easement land is privately-owned land between the government boundary line and the elevation contour on which the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has purchased the right to flood. The typical flowage easement contour on Sam Rayburn Reservoir is 179' MSL however, in the upper reaches of the reservoir flowage easement land may run as high as 189' elevation contour. The concept of flowage easement allows you, the landowner, to make use of property which otherwise would have been purchased by the government. Therefore, flowage easement land is different than government-owned land.  The graphic below presents an example of the relationship between Government owned Fee Land and private land encumbered with a floweage easement.


1. Fence flowage easement to the government boundary line, and/or along the government boundary line at his/her discretion.  Any fence must be constructed so that lake water can flow through it.

2. Plant grass, shrubs, trees, or gardens on flowage easement at his/her discretion.

3. Mow, underbrush, or cut trees on flowage easement at his/her own discretion.


1. Apply for a permit to construct or place storage buildings, fish cleaners, pump houses, garages, etc., on flowage easements. Houses, trailers, and other structures suitable for human habitation ARE NOT ALLOWED.

2. Apply for a permit to drill a water well or place utility lines on flowage easement.


1. Construct or place any house, trailer, RV or other structure for human habitation, permanent or temporary, on flowage easement.

2. Dredge, fill or otherwise alter the land contours.


1. Government-owned (fee) land

a. Mowing and Underbrushing permit applications require an Application for Shoreline Use Permit (available at the project office), and a property plat showing the location of the proposed activity in relation to COE boundary line and monuments.

b. Shoreline Erosion Control permit applications require an Application for Shoreline Use Permit (available at the project office), a property plat showing the location of proposed construction in relation to COE boundary line and monuments and 164' elevation contour, and a plan showing detailed design and materials of proposed work. If excavation is required, a archeological survey is usually required.

c. Permit request such as water withdrawal permits that require excavation on government property will require an archeological review by this office, and may require a archeological survey.

2.  Flowage easement permit applications must include:

a. Application for Shoreline Use Permit.

b. Plat showing location of the proposed construction in relation to the flowage easement elevation contour and the COE boundary line and monuments.

c. Plan showing detailed design and materials of proposed building or construction.

d. In addition to the above three items, applications for roads on flowage easement should also include a plan showing the linear profile of the road and a typical cross-section of the road. Some of these items may be combined on the same sheet. Items a, b, and c, plus the LNVA contract are required for the water license.

3. Permit applications, detailed requirements, and any questions you may have should be addressed to Sam Rayburn Project Office, 7696 RR 255 W, Jasper, Texas, 75951-9598, or by phone at (409) 384-5716. Any correspondence should include a complete return address and phone number.  See Ranger Districts below for e-mail information.


Before purchasing land adjacent to Sam Rayburn Reservoir, there are three items which should be checked to determine if the land is suitable for your intended uses.

1. Check to see if the 179' elevation contour (upper extent of flowage easement) and government property line are identified. This is usually done by the person selling the land when the property lines are surveyed and legal descriptions of the easement may be found in the deed. If they are not identified contact the Sam Rayburn Project Office for information on the government property line. The flowage easement elevation can be located by a surveyor. The landowner is responsible for locating and respecting these lines.

2. Contact the Angelina-Neches River Authority, (A.N.R.A) 210 Lufkin, Avenue, P.O. Box 387, Lufkin, Texas 75901, Phone: 936-632-7795, for information on the size and location of septic systems. A.N.R.A. personnel will tell you how to apply for a septic system permit, run soil test and help design the system.

3. Establish on ground if there is enough space ABOVE the flowage easement elevation contour (upper extent of flowage easement) on which to place a trailer or construct a house with a septic system.

--After the land is purchased, apply for all necessary permits, licenses, and contracts well in advance of construction.


--These regulations were designed for the protection of the rights and privileges of adjacent landowners and visitors to the reservoir, as well as the protection of government interests vital to the operation of the reservoir. If followed, the regulations should help avoid damage and/or loss of your property and contamination of drinking water in the event of flooding. In addition, the clean appearance of the shoreline with the absence of cluttered docks, boats, and partially sunken boathouses makes Sam Rayburn Reservoir one of the great natural attractions of Texas. To continue this high goal will require the cooperation and assistance of every individual.


Sam Rayburn is divided into four Ranger Districts, each with a specific Park Ranger that is responsible for activities within that district, including processing permits and other requests from adjacent landowners.

Contact by Telephone: 409-384-5716 or Email.

If you do not have a copy of Acrobat Reader, click here