Flowage Easement at Lake O the Pines

Flowages easement areas are those lands over which the Corps of Engineers has acquired and maintains the rights to flood in conjunction with authorized operation of the project. Development of private exclusive use facilities on easement lands will be constrained by the terms and conditions of the flowage easement rights. No permanent, private facilities other than those specifically allowed under the terms of the easement document may be constructed or allowed on flowage easement lands, nor may any structure, activity or use that would interfere with the operation, maintenance, or management of the lake be allowed. Restrictions on developments on flowage easement land are not intended to limit the use of the land by the owners, but are designed to provide personal protection for the owners as well as protection from damage to personal property and to insure that the project can be operated unobstructed for its authorized flood control purpose.  The following document contains more detailed information concerning flowage easement issues and the procedure for requesting permission for construction or activities on flowage easement properties.

As an Owner of Flowage Easement Land, You May:

  1.         Mow, clear, plant vegetation, or otherwise use as desired if not in conflict with the terms of rights acquired by the government.
  2.        Sell or lease the land to others, subject to all restrictions contained in the flowage easement instrument.
  3.        Construct a fence to or along the Government boundary line.

As an Owner of Flowage Easement Land, You May Not:

  1.          Construct or maintain any structure for human habitation, permanent or temporary, on the flowage easement land. Also, placing or raising of a structure within the easement area by use of piling or other type of foundation or raising of the site through use of fill is prohibited.
  2.       Place or construct any other structure or appurtenances to existing structures on the flowage easement land without prior written approval of the District Engineer. "Other structures" are construed to mean any kind of structure including but not limited to buildings, ramps, ditches, channels, dams, dikes, wells, earthen tanks, roads, utility lines and tramways.

With approval, almost any type of structure that does not reduce flood storage capacity or is not designed or intended to be used for human habitation may be constructed on the flowage easement land. With respect to construction of water wells, sewer lines, or septic systems, each case will be examined to ensure that pollution of the lake or interference with the operation of the reservoir will not occur. All proposed sewer line and septic system construction must be approved by the appropriate health departments and all septic systems must be located a minimum of 75 feet in horizontal distance from the flowage easement line.

Permit Applications

All requests involving public or flowage easement lands must include the following:

  1.          A letter of application.
  2.          Detailed design plans of the proposed work including elevations at the proposed site.
  3.          A map showing the location of the proposed action and the relationship with the U.S. boundary line.
  4.          Written approval of the appropriate agencies.

We are engaged in preserving, maintaining and improving the resources at Lake O' the Pines , both natural and developed. Your participation and assistance in these efforts is very much appreciated.

Please address all permit applications or other correspondence to:  Lake O' the Pines Office, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 2669 FM 726, Jefferson, Texas 75657.  If you have any questions, you can reach us at (903) 665-2336. Any correspondence should include a complete return address and phone number.