Frequently Asked Questions

1. What vehicle restrictions are in effect on Corps of Engineer areas?

All vehicles including motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATV's), bicycles, automobiles, trucks, and any other vehicles (see CFR Title 36, Section 327.2 for vehicle definition) are prohibited off of developed roadways. In accordance with Texas Transportation Code, Golf Carts are not allowed to be operated on Public Roadways at Corps of Engineers Projects.

2. Why can't I reserve a particular camp site?

The most common problem with this are that the sites are non-reservable and only available at that park. The next reason are that the site has been closed for maintenance or there may also be a reservation already on that site.

3. What jobs are available?

The most current and reliable information is available via the Internet. Army posts vacancies on two web sites. These are the Army Employment site and OPM USAJOBS. By accessing these sites you can view current vacancy announcements.

4. What is flowage easement property? Can I build on it?

Flowage Easement property is property that is privately owned but on which the Government has the right to flood if need be. Elevations vary from lake to lake. Landowners are not allowed to build any structure intended for human habitation; nor are they allowed to do anything that will change the elevation of the land. Decks, swimming pools, sewer lines, and other structures may be allowed depending on individual circumstances and the location of the particular property. Each case is handled on a case-by-case basis. Please click here for more information.

5. Do park rangers teach programs? How can I arrange one?

Park rangers do all sorts of programs for schools, church groups, scout groups, day care centers and other organizations. Contact a park ranger at the Proctor Lake project office at 254-879-2424. Programs can be customized for time and age groups. Tthe late spring and summer months are quite busy at Proctor Lake, so please call to schedule as soon as possible.

6. Where is a good place to fish on Proctor Lake?

Fish usually seek out places where they can find food and shelter, such as stumpy and rocky areas. Many individuals have their own secret lucky spots; finding your own is half the fun of fishing! Be aware that areas around the dam structure and the stilling basin are off limits. Please be sure you are not fishing on boat ramps or courtesy docks.

7. How long may I camp? 

You may camp up to 14 days at each lake within a thirty-day period.

8. Can I make a reservation? 

Reservations can be made by visiting the web site: or by calling the National Recreation Reservation Service at 1-(877) 444-6777.  

9. What are the park hours?

The park gates open at 6 a.m. and close at 10 p.m. The gatehouse opens at various times. Check with the individual parks for operating times. Quiet hours are 10p.m. to 6a.m. There is a night exit for after hour’s use. Check out time is 2:00 p.m.

10. Is there a campsite capacity? 

Most campsites are designed to accommodate 8 to 10 people, a Recreational Vehicle (RV), trailer and/or tent. Please check with the gatehouse to confirm your site's capacity.

11. May I have visitors? 

Visiting hours are from 6 a.m. until 10 p.m.

12. Where can I park? 

All vehicles and trailers must be parked in designated areas to help protect the natural environment you came to enjoy. Parking on grass is prohibited.

13. May I have a campfire?

You may have a fire in locations where cookers or fire rings are provided as long as a Burn Ban is not in effect. Please bring your own firewood or gather dead wood from the ground. Remember fire safety, attend your fire at all times and completely extinguish it upon departure.

14. Where do I dump my trash?

Please help us control pests in the campground by placing your trash in the dumpster's provided.  A trailer dump station is also located in the park for emptying trailer-holding tanks.

15. May my pet camp with me? 

Yes. Your pet must be restrained at all times when in the park. Leashes must be no more than 6’ in length. Any waste produced by your pet must be picked up and disposed of properly.

16. May I have a firearm in the park?

 A concealed handgun permit is not valid on Federal property. The possession of a firearm and/or ammunition is prohibited.